An IDE release is not same as language support release. NetBeans (or any other)
IDE, as far as I am concerned is “just an editor” and a framework for other
language plugins. Then, say, PHP and even Java rides on top of that. Mixing
these two concepts together creates too much conflict.
Then, there is a sour feeling when hear how next version of language plugin is
already done, yet it’s not allowed to use until some arbitrary release party.
I have 1.3 million views Zend Framework (PHP) tutorials and I regularly get
asked to show how to setup NetBeans instead of proprietary one I currently use
they cannot afford. Unfortunately, that is a non-starter as the lessons showing
what Zend Framework is capable of in *current, yet already half-a-year-old*
version is not possible in editor that has even older version. I am not going
to teach outdated content just to promote NetBeans on the screen, even though
that would be excellent motivation for me to show it off.
Some replies here have idea about psychological comfort of frequent releases.
As a language user, I do not notice much underlying platform releases. Again,
this feeling may come from the conflict in my first point. More releases mean
that NetBeans has a better chance to keep up with *ALL* languages by maximizing
probability that do not have to wait long for next version of, say, EcmaScript.
However, do language plugin users really care about the underlying *IDE
framework* release version? Sure, there may come a time when NetBeans 14 might
have some fancy editor feature so have to wait until “PHP plugin version 21” or
even “Java plugin version 7” catches up to IDE release, but that is a VERY
tolerable wait that does not actively prohibit usage. Then the editor framework
can take however many years to have releases.