Hi,

On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 at 16:37, Jaroslav Tulach <jaroslav.tul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Great questions and concerns, Neil.

Thanks! And thanks for the response.  Some comments ...

> +10, the module should be properly signed!
>
> Apache can't sign it itself. Somebody else has to. Currently Reema and co. do
> sign the module. I am fine with that, we just need to make sure it is
> recognized as regularly (e.g. not self) signed. There are two ways:
>
> - Reema & co. can obtain signing certificate from an approved signing
> authority
>
> - or we can take Reema & co. public key and add it to the list of trusted keys
> in the Apache NetBeans

The former sounds like a preferred approach, although either would be
a major improvement for end users.

> Instructions how to build nbjavac are desirable. It would be good if the
> repository URL and revision was part of the NBM or JAR file.
> Download it from update center automatically with the autoupdate Ant task.
> That's what we do in Oracle Labs.

But I assume that's still only the binary build?!  Thanks for that
suggestion - I hadn't considered using an Ant task for this.  I'm not
too concerned about getting the binary into the build if I go that way
though, but may still prefer to build.

However, I would say access to the specific sources required to build
nb-javac *as distributed* is more than desirable.  It's a key
requirement of the license.  And theoretically I can't legally
redistribute without being able to provide it.  Or eg. a Linux distro
couldn't currently package a batteries-included version of NetBeans 9
with nb-javac pre-included.

This is what I was getting at when I replied to Geertjan that this is
a two-way thing, and separate to the ASF legal requirement on this.
We've met the ASF requirement, but we could do with signposting how
nb-javac is provided a bit better, and who is the other party with
whom users agree the license / should contact to exercise the rights
given.

IMO, a link to the right source repo tag and/or source zip, somewhere
on our website (preferably on the download page with a little info on
what nb-javac is and why it's not from ASF) would be ideal.  I'm happy
to put in a PR for that, if I knew exactly what to link to!

Best wishes,

Neil