Am 25.09.18 um 01:00 schrieb Jan Tosovsky:
On 2018-09-24 Peter Nabbefeld wrote:
On 2018-09-18 Peter Nabbefeld wrote:
What about some JavaHelp 3.0 (which probably needs a new name),
building on Lucene but with a replaceable GUI (probably based on Servo
renderer)?

JavaHelp format is kind of standard, it can be produced by many tools.
So before inventing the new format we could just improve the client.

So only viable option seem to be rewriting the client to some JavaScript
based Single Page App (it would read .jar and render it in same way as
hsviewer, but directly in a browser).
I've found sth. about a new HTML renderer called "Servo", developped by
Mozilla and Samsung, so I thought it to be a good idea, to propose it's
usage for a new UI. But I must admit, I definitely don't know anything
further, yet.
I expect any solid web engine takes at least 50 MB. Whis is IMHO too much. I'd
rather use browser available on user computer. If JavaScript route is too
radical, I would prefer JavaFX client with Java-friendly HTML renderer like
JavaFX WebView or JxBrowser (the latter is commercial if not used for open
source projects):
https://jxbrowser.support.teamdev.com/support/solutions/articles/9000013137-jxbrowser-vs-javafx-webview

1TB or more of disk space are not unusual nowadays, so 50MB would be less than 50ppm - IMHO that's not too much. But, of course, every browser will do. Just told about servo, because a specific browser might make life easier (i.e. just follow specifics of one browser instead of juggling with every browser's ones), and proposing a not yet widely used one propapbly avoids a "fight" for the favorite one.

However, if we really would have to write our own help viewer, this could also be done using some API, providing for plugin development, so it'd only be the question what would be provided as a default. And, of course, it would have to be selectable, which implementation to be used, if there're more than one.

Peter

Jan