One (possibly bad) idea would be to try and loop your flow around the
UpdateAttribute processor using RouteOnAttribute.  UpdateAttribute has an
"advanced" mode which would let you do logic something like:

if $foo == "" then set $foo = "step 1";
if $foo == "step 1" then set $foo = "step 2";
if $foo == "step 2" then set $foo = "step 3";
if $foo == "step n" then set $foo = "finished";

The next part would be RouteOnAttribute, which would read the value of $foo
and if set to "finished" break the loop.  Otherwise it would pass to
InvokeHTTP and then back to UpdateAttribute.  The setup for this would be
tedious, but I think it would technically work.

Just putting this out there for brainstorming purposes.