From: Koji Kawamura
Date: 2017-03-15 14:35
To: wangj...@weiresearch.com
CC: dev
Subject: Re: Re: we finished a Chinesization & a Japanize version of Nifi 1.1
Hi Dustin, Petter,

Sorry for the delayed response.

I think it is necessary for us as a community to the official Apache
NiFi master branch. Because I think that's the only way to maintain
localized content in the future, so that it will not being left
behind.

I wrote a NiFi Feature Proposal on Localize NiFi to lay out my
thoughts, and as a place for further discussion.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Localize+NiFi

I'd like to highlight few statements from the proposal:

"Actual translation (localization) work need not to be finished
completely at any point in NiFi releases. Thus it does not affect NiFi
release cycle at all. However, NiFi framework capability to extend
language is managed as a part of NiFi itself."

"Once the externalize effort is incorporated to NiFi code base,
subsequent code change should follow the same rule in order to
maintain localization."

What I think necessary is to merge the extension point you have
externalize into master branch as soon as possible and when we have
time to do so. After that, we can focus on translating content, and I
think we can expect lots of contribution from local engineers for
this.

The next step would be create a JIRA for extracting user-facing string
from JS and JSP files. And create a Pull Request so that the change
can officially be reviewed and merged. Would you be able to do that?

How to create a JIRA ticket:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Contributor+Guide#ContributorGuide-Createaticketfornewbugsorfeatures

How to send a pull request
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Contributor+Guide#ContributorGuide-Supplyingacontribution

> As we do not have experience to do localization in nifi before...

This is my first time, too :)

Thanks,
Koji