Hi Joe,

We are extending AbstractProcessor for our processors, and AbstractControllerService for our controller service. However, we did include the InvokeHTTP processor with some modifications that are referencing some other classes that are in the nifi-processors-standard JAR. I will look into breaking those out to remove that dependency.

    The actual error that we are getting is below:

2017-07-04 12:28:29,076 WARN [main] org.apache.nifi.web.server.JettyServer Failed to start web server... shutting down. org.apache.nifi.controller.serialization.FlowSynchronizationException: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException at org.apache.nifi.controller.StandardFlowSynchronizer.sync(StandardFlowSynchronizer.java:426) at org.apache.nifi.controller.FlowController.synchronize(FlowController.java:1576) at org.apache.nifi.persistence.StandardXMLFlowConfigurationDAO.load(StandardXMLFlowConfigurationDAO.java:84) at org.apache.nifi.controller.StandardFlowService.loadFromBytes(StandardFlowService.java:722) at org.apache.nifi.controller.StandardFlowService.load(StandardFlowService.java:533) at org.apache.nifi.web.contextlistener.ApplicationStartupContextListener.contextInitialized(ApplicationStartupContextListener.java:72) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.callContextInitialized(ContextHandler.java:876) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletContextHandler.callContextInitialized(ServletContextHandler.java:532) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.startContext(ContextHandler.java:839) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletContextHandler.startContext(ServletContextHandler.java:344) at org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.startWebapp(WebAppContext.java:1480) at org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.startContext(WebAppContext.java:1442) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doStart(ContextHandler.java:799) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletContextHandler.doStart(ServletContextHandler.java:261) at org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.doStart(WebAppContext.java:540) at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:68) at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.start(ContainerLifeCycle.java:131) at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.doStart(ContainerLifeCycle.java:113) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.AbstractHandler.doStart(AbstractHandler.java:113) at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:68) at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.start(ContainerLifeCycle.java:131) at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.doStart(ContainerLifeCycle.java:105) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.AbstractHandler.doStart(AbstractHandler.java:113) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.gzip.GzipHandler.doStart(GzipHandler.java:290) at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:68) at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.start(ContainerLifeCycle.java:131)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.start(Server.java:452)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.doStart(ContainerLifeCycle.java:105) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.AbstractHandler.doStart(AbstractHandler.java:113)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.doStart(Server.java:419)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:68) at org.apache.nifi.web.server.JettyServer.start(JettyServer.java:705)
        at org.apache.nifi.NiFi.<init>(NiFi.java:160)
        at org.apache.nifi.NiFi.main(NiFi.java:267)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: null
at org.apache.nifi.controller.StandardProcessorNode.setMaxConcurrentTasks(StandardProcessorNode.java:620) at org.apache.nifi.controller.StandardFlowSynchronizer.updateProcessor(StandardFlowSynchronizer.java:985) at org.apache.nifi.controller.StandardFlowSynchronizer.addProcessGroup(StandardFlowSynchronizer.java:1064) at org.apache.nifi.controller.StandardFlowSynchronizer.addProcessGroup(StandardFlowSynchronizer.java:1183) at org.apache.nifi.controller.StandardFlowSynchronizer.addProcessGroup(StandardFlowSynchronizer.java:1183) at org.apache.nifi.controller.StandardFlowSynchronizer.addProcessGroup(StandardFlowSynchronizer.java:1183) at org.apache.nifi.controller.StandardFlowSynchronizer.sync(StandardFlowSynchronizer.java:312)
        ... 33 common frames omitted

Joe Witt <mailto:joe.w...@gmail.com>
Wednesday, July 5, 2017 10:57 AM
Scott

In your custom NAR are you extending some other processor/component
such as one found in standard processors? You'll really need to break
that chain and not pull in the same components.

Can you share the actual error being provided at startup/

Thanks
joe
Scott Wagner <mailto:swag...@beenverified.com>
Wednesday, July 5, 2017 10:53 AM
Hey all,

I have been running on NiFi 1.1.1 for a while, and just started working on migrating to 1.3.0. However, when I tried starting up, I was getting unhandled exceptions during startup of Jetty. I have traced this down to something being wrong with a custom NAR file that we built for 1.1.1.

The problem is when BundleUtils.findBundleForType is being called, it is finding 2 bundles for every internal NiFi processor class - the correct NAR that it comes with in 1.3.0, and my custom NAR file as well. I'm sure that I have done something wrong in the packaging for my custom NAR file, but I don't know what it could be. It was originally built from the NiFi NAR archetype late last year.

If anyone can point in me in the direction of what I'm doing wrong, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm not a maven/packaging expert by any means so no advice is too basic.

Thanks!

- Scott