From: Marc <phroc...@apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2017 1:16 PM
To: dev@nifi.apache.org
Subject: Re: MINIFI-350 CMake target for docker integration tests

Andy,
  This is great stuff. To facilitate use by developers we should probably
come to agreement on terminology. In my opinion, it seems that you are
facilitating more system integration testing (SIT) based on our
discussions. While what you are doing doesn't preclude you from integrating
one or two components it does cause confusion on what to use when I want to
test something. I think the same exists for our unit and integration tests
that we have now, but those are a function of design decisions made vice a
focus on testability. I think most of the tests that use the docker
framework will be system tests, and the importance of this is that we
should probably isolate these to a separate target. I think better
isolation of what these test facilities do will end users, and limiting
what ctest executes to pure unit and modular integration tests will be very
useful.
   I think that also helps sell the story that one must install docker if
they want to run system integration tests, but you can still integrate
several components with ctest if you want to limit what you are testing. I
personally look forward to these changes as I think having multi host tests
will help find more bugs, but I wouldn't want this to run when I type make
test.