Hi Adam,

It’s great that your team wants to contribute to NiFi. I think there should be
some discussion from other community members on this, but I’ll give my view
here. At this time, I believe we should only accept core contributions in Java.
It’s not because I have a predisposition against Scala or any other language
(frankly, I would prefer to write my processors in Groovy), but because Apache
prioritizes community over code, and in order to make the code accessible to
the community at large, Java is the standard for this project.

That said, I think there are some important ways you can contribute in other
languages:

* Testing — while we try to ensure the “production” code is pure Java, the test
frameworks around NiFi can use other languages. We currently have a number of
tests in Groovy/Spock.
* Custom repositories — you are welcome to publish processors written in Scala
on GitHub/Maven and anyone in the community who is interested can add that
functionality into their installations very easily.

Hopefully this helps guide your instruction to your interns. If others in the
community feel strongly about this, I hope they weigh in.

Andy LoPresto
alopre...@apache.org
alopresto.apa...@gmail.com