I'm just a community contributor, so take that FWIW, but a compromise might
be to publish the Scala code as separate maven modules to maven central and
then submit a thoroughly tested processor written in Java. As long as you
have enough unit and integration tests to give strong coverage, I wouldn't
imagine anyone here would have issues reviewing it. If the tests fail
because of code issues in the external dependencies, the obvious answer is
to just hold the PR until the tests pass.