Most of the ideas discussed here are assuming there is one record per
flow file, which for any serious amount of data is not what you want
to do.

It might be better to have a new ExtractJsonToAttributes processor
that enforces limitations like a single json doc per flow file and all
flat fields, so if you don't split and flatten before hand then it
routes to failure.