IMO the concept of "functions" is different enough to warrant its own
set of components, rather than trying to shoehorn them into a wormhole
/ PG discussion. Perhaps a Function component which may feel like a PG
(but with UI distinction such as rounded corners?), but would be
referred to by name (uniqueness to be enforced by the framework),
possibly with a Function Input Port (a single instance also enforced)
and Function Output Port (single instance) located inside the Function
(rather than an Input Port outside linked to an Input Port inside).
Invocation of the Function would be done with some other component
akin to an Output Port or PG, possibly called a Function Call.
Function Call could act like a processor in the sense that it would
send flow files (with the return destination attached for use by the
Function Output Port) to the Function's Input Port and receive them
when available, then send them to downstream connection(s).  Best
practice may be to put all Functions in a single PG to isolate them,
but because invocation is done by unique name, we wouldn't need a
"wormhole", rather the framework can keep a reference to where the
Function is located, and thus send the flow files from the Function
Call directly to the Function.  If this entails some of the same work
to implement wormholes then we get two birds with one stone :)
Thoughts?

Regards,
Matt