So I think we have a lot of different concepts going on here. I’ll try to
provide my thoughts on each one as I’ve spent a good bit of timing thinking
about each of them over the last year or two :)

Wormhole connections: these would be very nice to have because it would allow
us to avoid having lots of ports to go further up and down the stacks of
process groups. But I don’t know that it would adequate scratch the itch for
functional groups.

Functional groups: I was very gung-ho about implementing these a while back.
Then I realized 2 really big issues with this. Firstly, if one group suddenly
floods the functional group with data, then it can cause backlogs that could
hinder processing of the rest of the flow, though they are otherwise completely
independent. Not the end of the world and similar to how a single microservice,
if overwhelmed would do the same thing in a microservice architecture. More
importantly is the idea of “what happens if we try to merge data?” So a
MergeRecord processor, for instance. It’s not a 1-in-1-out type of thing. Can
flowfiles from different sources be merged? Should we allow merging at all? I
would be a bit worried that this would lead to a lot of confusion. Doesn’t mean
that it can’t be done but we would have to figure out what the semantics are
for such a thing and how that would be conveyed clearly in the UI.

Load-Balanced connections (aka spread the flowfiles across all nodes in the
cluster on a given connection): very much agree and think we should do this.

Non-root-group remote ports: absolutely agree that this is a good idea and we
should do this as well.

Auto Updates of flows from flow registry: definitely all for this as well. I
believe that if we do this, then it would subsume the need for the functional
groups and would be much easier to understand and configure from the UI. It
would also provide far more power and flexibility by providing the ability to
upgrade all instances of a flow across many different clusters if desired, not
just the cluster that you’re working on.

Hopefully this provides some color into some of the design choices that have
been made and will help to spur more thoughts on the subjects.

-Mark

Sent from my iPhone

On May 13, 2018, at 3:32 PM, Ed B <bdes...@gmail.com<mailto:bdes...@gmail.com>>