I don't know that it necessarily needs to be changed but the convention we
have in other images where we make use of a wrapper init script gives a
little more flexibility for investigating/manipulating instance internals.
That convention would have made things a bit more straightforward for this
scenario.  In terms of the signals handling, I was a bit surprised they
weren't being picked up by Java but would need to investigate a bit more to
see if it was just my hastiness or if there is something else at play.