I have a slight improvement to Environment variables that the NiFI docker
system uses to bootstrap its nifi.properties files

I documented it under

The commit is here.

https://github.com/dprophet/nifi/commit/ea31ac6bd8f00944166e3e230af2040636c0505c

*****

There are times, when learning NiFi, that I want to stop and start NiFi with
debugging on. If NiFi was running inside a Docker container it was hard.

What I did was I created a new environment variable within the NiFi
bootstrapping system it uses to start itself up inside a docker container. FYI,
some of those environment variables are documented here.

https://github.com/apache/nifi/blob/master/nifi-docker/dockerhub/README.md

What I did was introduce a new environment variable

NIFI_DEBUG

And in file
https://github.com/apache/nifi/blob/master/nifi-docker/dockerhub/sh/start.sh

I added

if [[ -n $NIFI_DEBUG ]] ; then
    . "${scripts_dir}/update_logback.sh"
fi

Basically what it does, if the NIFI_DEBUG is set
Example:

NIFI_DEBUG="org.apache.nifi.web.security=TRACE,org.apache.nifi.authorization=DEBUG,org.apache.nifi.web.api.config=TRACE"

It updates the
${NIFI_HOME}/conf/logback.xml

File to enable the debugging modes of NiFi

This is a very fast mechanism to restart NiFi with debugging turned on. Very
developer and workflow friendly.

If of interest I will create a JIRA, put the code on a fork, and give a pull
request.

Erik Anderson
Bloomberg