It would be a little bit weird because you'd still need the client
cert for the initial request to get the JWT, so then in that case why
not just keep using the client cert.

Registry does things a little bit different than NiFi and has a few
variations of the token end-point:

/access/token/login (looks for credentials using basic auth)
/access/token/kerberos (same as NiFi)
/access/token/identity-provider (passes request to the configured
identity provider)
/access/token (tries all identity providers in order, the first of
which is X509 identity provider)

So if you sent a client cert to the last one, it would do what you are
suggesting.