This background is very helpful to keep in mind when evaluating new and
updated unit tests.  There are definitely some expensive tests that could
be streamlined, but introducing a separate version lifecycle for framework
and extensions seems like it is becoming more necessary.  Moving to a Java
11 baseline would also reduce the need to build on multiple versions, but
based on other discussions, it sounds like that is not currently scheduled.

I have noticed that Windows builds can run for a longer period of time, is
there a reason that the Windows workflow definition does not have the same
timeout setting as the Linux and macOS builds?  Introducing one would at
least kill off problematic Windows builds.

Regards,
David Handermann