> So, how will we keep track of approvals? I assume that GitHub has a built
in mechanism for this purpose?

Nathan,

Yes it if built for this and from my perspective working on a 93 person team,
with 67 repositories. It is highly efficient, collaborative, and effective.

For example:
Ignoring the excellent process integration to create a proper work flow that
keeps master clean and building with full CI integration.

Have a look Suggested changes:
 Suppose you’re collaborating on a repository with an active pull request. A
reviewer can look at that pull request, and if they see room for improvement,
suggest a change to the code by leaving a comment. The author can then accept
the suggestion with a single click.

DRAFT PR. You want input on a design. Create a draft PR, get all the input and
value add the community has to offer. That will not be merged before it is
ready.

Here is the value I see in this from past experiences: I have had multiple ways
to solve a problem and wanted to get the collective expert's feed back. I Put
up a PR for discussion marking it a Work In Progress [WIP] and the next thing I
know, my WIP was merged.

>From my perspective patches, unless applied to a branch do not offer a
>collaborative resolution method- nor do they provide a way to educate the
>community, without an undo effort to decode the delta for the contributed
>patch to what was applied (speaking of the past process).

Let's get some requirements defined, our goals laid out and then discuss the
pros and cons of the options for workflow and the tools that exits the make the
whole of the PPMC productive. I am reflecting on statements like, "Volunteers
with full time jobs" and "Simple for users." We owe it to ourselves and the
community to make this efficient and effective.

David