On 12/17/2019 9:03 AM, Dave Marples wrote:

How are other operating systems / graphics libraries handling this?

From what I've seen they mostly don't...you end up with a parallel graphics subsystem built on top of an SPI. We can do better than that, given that very little needs to be extended.

Linux uses Xorg for graphics.  So if this feature is supported in Linux, then I think it would be through Xorg?  The NX server is the tiny, moral equivalent of the XServer.

This is interesting: https://hackaday.com/2018/08/14/run-a-linux-terminal-on-cheap-e-ink-displays/ The interface is written in Python: https://github.com/joukos/PaperTTY but I don't really see anything of interest.

I see a lot of references to "deferred IO" with ePaper devices. AFAIK deferred IO is basically what drivers/lcd/lcd_framebuffer.c does:  If buffers all writes to the device in a framebuffer.  You could then force the framebuffer dump to hardware using the FBIO_UPDATE ioctl in drivers/video/fb.c

Sorry... a half hour of Googling did not answer the question for me.