It’s preferable yes. But if they can be archived and searchable that’s fine.
Often a solution is automatically sending that conversion to a mailing list or
bringing back a summary to the list.
Do I understand you correctly? We can use the original google group and add a
user there with the dev@nuttx.apache.org?
Now that would be interesting, if we could sync the two somehow.

I tried doing that when we transitioned from the yahoo to the google group.  I could not get it to work but I don't remember why.

So you would try to send to dev-subscr...@apache.org from nu...@googlegroups.com and send to nuttx+subscr...@googlegroups.com?  Would you spoof the return address?

All members of the both groups would get the subscribe information.

There might be challenges with full duplex.  I am not sure how you would avoid the storms when when message is sent google->apache, then forward apache->google, then forwarded again to google->apache, etc.