Is that because there are more places that don't do it than places that do?
Yes.. and I think just a matter of personal preference.
Because it seems to me that the right thing to do is to leave compliant
code alone and bring non-compliant code into compliance with the standard,
otherwise there is no standard.

Thoughts?

It has already been merged and a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then.  It would be tough to detangle now.

I don't think it is am important part of the coding standard, so I don't mind just removing these two sentences from the coding standard.

I prefer having the (void) present because it says to me, "Don't worry, I have thought this through and I don't need the return value."  Otherwise, I am suspicious of ignored returned values.

But that is a pretty minor part of the coding standard.

Greg