That is kind of offensive.  I would never do something like that. I have never
intentionally violated a license.  I always give credit when credit is due.
You're misunderstanding me, I’m describing the conditions under which we can
change the headers to ALv2. In some cases you have taken a 3rd party file,
modified it and you added your BSD header on them, that fine, but depending on
the extent of the changes we would either replace your header with an ASF one
or remove your header and leave the original 3rd party header. This is not that
you’ve done something incorrectly or haven’t given credit, just that ASF policy
differs to how you’ve been working in the past.

Yes I did misunderstand you.  It implied to me that you though I was just removing third party copyrights and licenses and replacing them with my own.  That does not happen.

In December I did count this (see also attached):

                                            nuttx/ apps/ TOTAL
   Total Number of (regular) files:        13792  2961  16753
   Total Number of files with Copyrights:  10918  1931  12849
   Total Number of Copyrights:             12107  2234  14341

So you are really only concerned about those file that have multiple copyrights.  For the files that have my Copyright I can think of three reasons why you might see "Copyright" more than once in the file:

 * Yes, when I leverage third party code (usually into apps/), I add my
   information to the file but retain the original third party license.
 * There a several cases where people modified files that I wrote and
   decided that they need to add their own copyright.
 * And there is the case where I developed an original file, but used
   information from other sources to design the code.  The typical
   situation here is the use of sample code provided by a silicon
   vendor as a technical reference.  In that case, none of the vendor
   code is in the file, but for some trickier register operations such
   as configuring timers, the logic sequence (only) comes from vendor
   sample.  In these cases, I give credit to the source of information
   along with versioning, date, and/or Copyright information

But I have doing this for a long time and for many files.  I was pretty ignorant about licensing a dozen years or so ago, so there could be most any error in older code, particularly.

Greg

Here is better, more complete data about the Copyrights in NuttX.  The apps/
directory does contain a considerable amount of ported 3rd party code which
which throws thing off a bit.  The core OS is exceptionally clean with mostly
original code; the applications are a hodge-podge of original and ported code.

Identification of Copyright notices was accomplished using 'grep'.  It is prone
to some errors in that it does not understand the context of the Copyright.
Some of these may not be Copyrights on the file itself be some reference to
other Copyrighted material.  'grep' isn't smart enough to know the difference.:

This should be a complete accounting of all Copyrights other than any possible
(probable) human errors.  The executive summary is that I hold 88% of
copyrights.  171 other people/organizations hold also have Copyrights.

                                        nuttx/ apps/ TOTAL
Total Number of (regular) file:         13792  2961  16753
Total Number of files with Copyrights:  10918  1931  12849  [1]
Total Number of Copyrights:             12107  2234  14341  [2]
Copyright holders:
  Gregory Nutt (or Greg Nutt)                        11314  [3,4,9]
  Sony                                                 444  [5]
  Antony Dzeryn (Woopsi app)                           119
  Sebastien Lorquet                                    111
  Haltian Ltd.                                         109
  Ken Pettit                                           122  [8]
  Pinecone                                             105  [6]
  Omni Hoverboards Inc.                                102
  Alan Carvalho de Assis                               100  [3]
  Pierre-Noel Bouteville                                92
  Nick Johnson (floating point library)                 85
  Atmel Corporation                                     79
  Verge Inc.                                            77  [3,7]
  Uros Platise                                          75
  Texas Instruments Incorporated                        71
  Adam Dunkels                                          65
  Petro Karashchenko                                    51
  Zilogic Systems                                       39
  Masayuki Ishikawa                                     38  [3]
  STMicroelectronics                                    38
  NXP Semiconductors, Inc.                              35
  Max Holtzberg                                         34
  Silicon Laboratories, Inc. (Silicon Labs, Inc.)       31
  Michael Haardt                                        30
  Christian Walter (2006)                               30
  Intel Corporation                                     27
  Future Technology Devices International               27
  Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.                         26
  ARM Limited                                           26
  Rommel Marcelo (2010)                                 25
  Michał Łyszczek                                       25
  Bill Gatliff                                          23
  Abdelatif Guettouche                                  20  [3]
  Li Zhuoyi                                             20
  Motorola Mobility, LLC                                19
  Citrus Project (1999)                                 19
  NX Engineering, S.A.                                  18  [3,9]
  Vladimir Komendantskiy                                17
  DS-Automotion GmbH                                    16
  Cadence Design Systems Inc.                           15
  B.ZaaR                                                15
  Espressif Systems (Shanghai) PTE LTD                  14
  Brennan Ashton                                        14  [8]
  Swedish Institute of Computer Science                 18
  The Open Group                                        18
  Gwenhael Goavec-Merou                                 13
  Evans & Sutherland Computer Corporation               13
  Marawan Ragab                                         13
  Max Nekludov                                          13
  Marco Krahl                                           12
  (no name on copyright line)                           12
  CITEL Technologies Ltd. (2002)                        11
  RAF Research                                          11
  Extent3D                                              10
  Peter Andersson                                       10
  Giorgio Groß                                          10
  Xiaomi                                                 9  [6]
  Infineon                                               9
  Fundação CERTI                                         9
  Augusto Fraga Giachero                                 9
  TRD2 Inc                                               9
  Jose Pablo Rojas Vargas (2012)                         9
  Tomasz Wozniak                                         8
  China Beijing Armink                                   8
  Volkan YAZICI                                          8
  Itronix Inc.                                           8
  Stavros Polymenis                                      8
  Gábor Kiss-Vámosi                                      7
  Offcode Ltd.                                           7
  Neil Hancock                                           6
  Filament                                               6
  Young Mu                                               6
  Ramtin Amin                                            5
  Mycal Labs                                             5
  Michael Smith                                          5
  ON Semiconductor                                       5
  Aleksandr Vyhovanec                                    5
  PX4 Development Team                                   5
  Doug Vetter                                            5
  Laurent Latil                                          5
  Uniquix Tecnologia / Uniquix Ltda                      5
  Marc Alexander Lehmann (2000)                          5
  Sun Microsystems, Inc.                                 5
  Brian Webb                                             5
  Cogito LLC                                             5
  Tensilica Inc.                                         4
  Make Schulte                                           4
  Florian Olbrich                                        4
  Oleksandr Tymoshenko                                   4
  Google, Inc.                                           4
  Acutronics Robotics                                    4
  Broadcom Corporation                                   4
  Anton D. Kachalov                                      4
  UVC Ingenieure                                         4
  Red Hat Incorporated. (2002)                           4
  Keith Packard                                          4
  Jouni Malinen                                          4
  Nordic Semiconductor ASA                               3
  Ivan Ucherdzhiev                                       3
  Fabian Justi                                           3
  Zglue Inc.                                             3
  Studelec SA.                                           3
  Wail Khemir                                            3
  Pelle Windestam                                        3
  Samuel Neves                                           3
  Intuitive Aerial AB                                    3
  Ales Verbic                                            3
  Rich Felker                                            3
  Michael Ringgaard                                      3
  hwport.com                                             3
  Dean Camera                                            3
  H. Peter Anvin                                         3
  Dave Gamble (2009)                                     3
  FishSemi                                               2  [6]
  Matias Nitsche                                         2
  The FreeBSD Foundation                                 2
  Free Software Foundation, Inc. (2002)                  2
  Michael Jung                                           2
  Ziggurat29                                             2
  Wolpike LLC                                            2
  Ansync Labs                                            2
  Andrew Payne                                           2
  Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt                       2
  DataVision s.r.o.                                      2
  Matt Poppe                                             2
  2018 Inc.                                              2
  Geoff Norton                                           2
  Dmitry Xmelkov                                         2
  ChaN (2007)                                            2
  Tim J. Robbins (2002-2004)                             2
  Pololu Corporation                                     2
  Kosma Moczek                                           2
  sysmocom - s.f.m.c. GmbH                               2
  David S. Alessio                                       2  [8]
  The NetBSD Foundation                                  1
  The XFree86 Project, Inc. (1998)                       1
  The Regents of the University of Michigan (2004)       1
  The Regents of the University of California (1989-1995)1
  Stefan Richter                                         1
  Patrizio Simona                                        1
  Calvin Maguranis                                       1
  ElFaro LAB S.L.                                        1
  Erle Robotics (Juan Flores Muñoz)                      1
  Marcin Wyrwas                                          1
  Marten Svanfeldt                                       1
  Dean Camera                                            1
  Weston Andros Adamson (2004)                           1
  Marius Aamodt Eriksen (2004)                           1
  Digital Equipment Corporation (1987)                   1
  Travis Geiselbrecht                                    1
  Hexagon AB                                             1
  Niels Provos (2002)                                    1
  Sam Leffler, Errno Consulting                          1
  Damien Bergamini                                       1
  Jussi Kivilinna                                        1
  Stephen Satchell (1986)                                1
  Yu Qiang (2011)                                        1
  Alexander Popov (2002)                                 1
  Joerg Wunsch (2002-2005)                               1
  Helmut Wallner (2005)                                  1
  Brooks Automation, Inc. (2013)                         1
  Daniel Vik (1999-2010)                                 1
  Todd C. Miller (1998)                                  1
  Kha Vo                                                 1
  Dave Marples                                           1
  Wijnand Modderman                                      1
  Chuck Forsberg                                         1
  Andy Ritger (2001)                                     1
  ETH Zuerich                                            1
  Vytautas Lukenskas                                     1
  Stefan Traby (2006)                                    1
  Greg King (2005)                                       1

[1] Text, html files, image files have no copyright notices.
    Build-related files, scripts, and source files do.
[2] Files may have multiple copyright on them for a variety of
    reasons.
[3] ICLA filed
[3] SGA filed
[5] Major contributors from Sony have signed ICLAs (representing
    only themselves)
[6] Pinecone and FishSemi are subsidiaries of Xiaomi, major
    contributors have signed ICLAs (representing only themselves)
[7] Anthony Merlino has signed an ICLA and is the co-founder
    and CTO of, now, Verge Areo
[8] I am not certain if Ken, David or Brennan have submitted ICLAs yet.
    They are expected.  Ken has also verbally agreed to release his
    copyrights in the past if necessary.
[9] NX Engineering, S.A, is a defunct business wholly owned by
    Gregory Nutt.  I need to change the Copyright holder name
    to Gregory Nutt.