Hello,

I believe in a stong principle, applied successfully numerous time in my embedded development company:

It it's not broken, dont fix it.

That applies precisely to this change.

The build system we have have the following characteristics

-it works for its intended purposes

-it is pretty complex

-ALL USERS have become used to it

Changing it

- will bring a lot of new bugs

- along with the annoying feeling that these bugs were not necessary in the first place

- No one will understand the build system anymore

- since makefiles are now generated, we rely on yet another external tool with bugs in itself, and its idiosyncrasies and workarounds.

Moreover:

-the doc about nuttx is not hosted by the nuttx project, so 99 % of the nuttx documentation will become fully obsolete overnight.

Gratuitous changes are a hell, they destroy efficiency.

They tend to appear more frequently in open source projects, because anyone can bring it change without a single damn given to customer since the code has no warranty of fitness of etc etc open source legalese.

If it was me, I would not do this change. If I had to take a decision about something similar in my company, it would be a strong no.

Sebastien