Hi David,

Wow. That is precisely what is wrong, you can get yourself a little TRIM
and make one of the boards work, but
then you would have to hand tune them +/- 1% for every baud rate and worse,
temperatures. So better to pay the 71
cents and put the 8M crystal on the board. For testing I used cold spray
and different baud rates to see that it is much
worse, probably more like 2% on the megabaud rates. APB1 can't go over
36Mhz or the backplane hangs.
PS, the other app note is on 8Mhz HSI and link is here
https://www.st.com/resource/en/application_note/an2868-stm32f10xxx-internal-rc-oscillator-hsi-calibration-stmicroelectronics.pdf

Anyhow, the summary is one may use the HSI for bringup and get NSH on
/dev/ttyS0 as /dev/console but for real
comms and especially megabaud you need external resonator or crystal and
HSE enabled as per default in stmf103-minimum

Thank you.
-James