Hi Mathieu,

Le 20/03/2019 à 22:19, Mathieu Lirzin a écrit :
I must confess that the policy regarding how refactoring (done by
committers) must be handled in term of JIRA creation, is not clear to
me.  The block “When to create a Jira issue” on OFBiz wiki [1] is not
helping much in that regard.  Maybe there is an implicit consensus in
that regard that I am not aware of?

My reasoning for not creating a JIRA was that those commits are pure
refactoring meaning they are implementation details that don't change
the observable behavior of the build and they are not part of a global
plan.  Basically those cleanups happened by looking around while working
on OFBIZ-10866 [2] but are unrelated to the endeavour of that task.

What would you recommend in that scenario?
I don't remember that we discussed specifically about Jira and refactoring (with no functional changes, which is the implicit definition of refactoring). At least we did not write about it.

One thing I do for very simple no functional changes (not only for refactoring)
is to use this syntax in commits comments :

   Improved: no functional change

   Explanations...

When the changes are considerable (which is subjective, it's hard to set a
line) I create a Jira and explain the changes.

We could write something about that in the wiki section “When to create a Jira issue” which is quite old and has not been reviewed for a long time. Rest that it will always be subjective, we can say that.

The same idea applies to Javadoc changes: big one a Jira, simple one no Jira.

It's a matter of judgement, when it take much more time to create a Jira than
to only explain in a commit comment for instance.

The changes you did (from r1855674 to r1855798) did not hurt me. I just reviewed again and for me none of them need more explanations than in the commits.

Now, the fact that there was 9 commits in a row could be interpreted as a
substantial change and maybe explains Michael's perspective.
Then maybe a Jira referring to these commits with a summary in description could help reassuring users about these changes. Both (Jira or not) fits with me in this case.

My 2cts