Hello Aditya,

Aditya Sharma <adityasha...@apache.org> writes:

> Just to clarify, as per commit message template document[1] the template is
>
> [Implemented|Improved|Fixed|Completed|Documented|Reverted]: [Jira
> title|Free text]
>
> Can we use "Free text" instead of "Jira title" when committing specifically
> for any Jira?

Indeed there is a grammar ambiguity in the commit template.  My personal
interpretation was that using the “Jira title” was only for trivial
stuff or when being uninspired. :-)

In practice I always use "free text" to avoid having multiple commits
with the same commit summary (e.g. first line) which IMO helps
identifying commits when displaying a short version of the log history
with:

   git log --oneline

When using “Jira title” form we end up with something like

   Improved: OFBIz does not have *magic feature* (OFBIZ-XXXXX)
   Improved: OFBIz does not have *magic feature* (OFBIZ-XXXXX)
   Fixed: OFBIz does not have *magic feature* (OFBIZ-XXXXX)
   Improved: OFBIz does not have *magic feature* (OFBIZ-XXXXX)
   Implemented: OFBIz does not have *magic feature* (OFBIZ-XXXXX)
   Implemented: OFBIz does not have *magic feature* (OFBIZ-XXXXX)

Where as when using the “free text” form we can get something more
informative like

   Improved: Remove uneeded code in bar (OFBIZ-XXXXX)
   Improved: Refactor magic feature to avoid foo (OFBIZ-XXXXX)
   Fixed: Fix regression from magic feature (OFBIZ-XXXXX)
   Improved: Avoid unecessary null checks (OFBIZ-XXXXX)
   Implemented: Add new magic feature (OFBIZ-XXXXX)
   Implemented: Add new tests for module foo (OFBIZ-XXXXX)

In any case if we collectively decide that the first form is preferable,
I will conform to that guideline.

Thanks.

--
Mathieu Lirzin
GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761  070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37