I would suggest adding other levels to the structure so that specializations are easy to add without creating conflicts or constant flux as people alter the accounting-entitymodel.xml to suit their needs and submit it as the "right" version".

applications/datamodel/entitidef/accounting-entitymodel.xml
might be better structured as
applications/datamodel/entitidef/demo/accounting-entitymodel.xml
applications/datamodel/entitidef/general/accounting-entitymodel.xml
applications/datamodel/entitidef/manufacturing/accounting-entitymodel.xml
applications/datamodel/entitidef/professionalServices/accounting-entitymodel.xml
applications/datamodel/entitidef/eCommerce/accounting-entitymodel.xml

It may be that the first specialization will be by country or region to get the
vocabulary or regulatory compliance particularities separated

applications/datamodel/entitidef/general/UK/accounting-entitymodel.xml
applications/datamodel/entitidef/general/NAFTA/accounting-entitymodel.xml
applications/datamodel/entitidef/general/NAFTA_MX/accounting-entitymodel.xml
applications/datamodel/entitidef/general/EU/accounting-entitymodel.xml

applications/datamodel/entitidef/demo/accounting-entitymodel.xml
applications/datamodel/entitidef/demo/EU/accounting-entitymodel.xml
applications/datamodel/entitidef/demo/NAFTA/accounting-entitymodel.xml
applications/datamodel/entitidef/manufacturing/EU/accounting-entitymodel.xml
applications/datamodel/entitidef/professionalServices/EU?accounting-entitymodel.xml
applications/datamodel/entitidef/eCommerce/EU/accounting-entitymodel.xml

Clearly we would start out with only the demo set but I think that we could
quickly get some of the other alternatives in place as people contribute
versions that they want to be part of the basic set.

Would it make sense to break accounting-entitymodel.xml into separate files for
mandatory and optional entities to make it clear the entities that can be
modified or dropped without affecting OOB functionality?

Ron