Hi Sanjaya, Lewis,

Appreciate your interest on this topic, this is a very good question and sorry
for the delay in responding, these days I feel I am always in catch up mode.

Let me separate this discussion into four parts: Provenance Gathering,
Provenance Analyzing, Provenance Reasoning, Provenance Aware executions.

Gathering: Airavata is instrumented with rich provenance centric information
model which captures each step and publishes to an event bus. This is encoded
in a "workflow tracking" schema [1]. So the current trunk of Airavata publishes
provenance rich information but not all is guaranteed to be captured in the
registry.

Analyzing: Significant work on provenance aspect related to Airavata is a by
product of doctoral dissertation of Yogesh Simmhan, currently a research asst.
professor at USC. His thesis [2] is a good source of reference on this topic.
Both the research and tools are in active development by Prof. Beth Plale's
group at IU [3]. Theoretically speaking since both Karma uses the same workflow
tracking schema and event bus, the tools should be easily integratable but did
not have a motivating use case to do so.

Reasoning: Phala is an extension to Airavata XBaya (its legacy LEAD version)
and Karma framework which provides context to the gathered provenance. Couple
of papers on this topic [4], [5].

Executions: This is an active topic within Airavata. Current release of
Airavata supports Provenance aware workflow executions and is discussed in [6].
I think the OODT and Airavata integration will greatly benefit this aspect.
Airavata Registry metadata cataloging is very primitive. And Rich data
management capabilities of OODT should nicely enhance airavata provenance aware
executions.

Please let me know which of the above aspects you are interested in and we can
discuss further.

Suresh

[1] -
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/airavata/trunk/modules/commons/workflow-tracking/src/main/resources/schemas/workflow_tracking_types.xsd