On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 8:49 AM, RA Stehmann
<anw...@rechtsanwalt-stehmann.de> wrote:
> Am 13.11.2012 03:01, schrieb Rob Weir:
>> On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 8:22 PM, Donald Harbison <dpharbi...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> {forgive top posting}
>>>
>>> First off, thanks for leading the charge at FOSDEM. On this side of the
>>> Atlantic we need to gear up on ACNA and figure out what we want to do, and
>>> who will be available. (excuses here, for a small delay)
>>>
>>> Let's get the devroom right as a priority. IMHO. Points 2 and 3 would be
>>> nice, but let's really nail the devroom, and everything else will take care
>>> of itself, so to speak (and I do not know how that translates, sorry!)
>>>
>>> So let's be laser focused on the 'series of talks' we want to ask our
>>> community to step up and do. We can promote this CFP via our banner on
>>> openoffice.org.
>>>

>> The openoffice.org banner would be totally wasted for that, reaching
>> 750K people a day, 99.999% of them being users and not at all
>> interested in this conference. I'd recommend a blog post as an
>> intermediate approach.
>>
>> I'll be commandeering the openoffice.org banner for the near future to
>> attract new volunteers, something we've so far failed to do by giving
>> each other presentations at conferences.
>>
>> -Rob
>>

> I don't agree.
>
> I makes IMO sense to promote our aktivities at FOSDEM on our website.
> Maybe some friends of OpenOffice will see it and will go to FOSDEM
> because of the program in the dev-room or to meet our people at the booth.
>
> If only one of them becomes a submitter or supports us in another way
> later effort has payed off.

It comes down to probabilities.

I've demonstrated that using the website to call for new volunteers is
effective.  In just the weekend we've had three people sign up as QA
volunteers.  Similar, focused calls for volunteers on NL pages has
increased our language coverage, bringing in translators for Danish,
Polish, Norwegian, Polish and Turkish.

We ran a call for papers and an invitation for ApacheCon on the
website for 37 days.  How many new volunteers did we get from that?
Can any say we even have 1?

Compare that to the opportunity cost of not running a call for
volunteers directly, a technique that has proven extremely effective.

> FOSDEM is definitely no event to reach new users of an office suite but
> one to recruit new volunteers.

I'm not saying we don't advertise Fosdem.  I'm just saying we should
target that in a way that will be most effective.  Running a central
banner add for a month, like we did for ApacheCon will not be as
effective as using that space for other recruitment purposes.  I have
the data to back up that assertion.

-Rob