From: Andre Fischer [mailto:awf....@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 07:19
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: Re: Compiling Symphony

On 14.11.2012 14:37, Chao Huang wrote:
> 2012/11/14 Andre Fischer <awf....@gmail.com>
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am currently trying to get an overview of the implementation and API
>> that could be reused for the new task pane/sidebar feature.
>>
> It will be an interesting work!
>

>> For this I am looking also at the symphony branch in our repository.  But
>> just looking at the source code is not so easy, because the Writer already
>> has a feature that is internally called sidebar (probably for displaying
>> notes/annotations/comments). Therefore I would like to compile Symphony and
>> use the debugger to find the relevant code parts.
>>
> Yes, debugging the source code is a quick way to study code.
>

>> But our symphony branch does not compile out of the box, at least not for
>> me.
>> Has anybody ever successfully build Symphony from our repository?
>>
>> Of cause, I did full build for Symphony's source code on
> Windows/Linux/Mac. There is a build guide for it on openoffice wiki [1]. I
> hope you can make a full build on your local dev env.
>

> [1]http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/How_to_build_Symphony%27s_source_code

Tried that but with no luck so far.  There are still several build breakers:

-  The configure.in from the symphony branch does not know two of the
options mentioned on the Wiki page:

     --with-use-shell=bash
     --enable-bundled-dictionaries

- configure.in adds the line

   ADDITIONAL_REPOSITORIES="../ext_libraries"

   to winenv.set.sh but ext_libraries/ does not exist in the symphony
branch.

- The external libraries icu and hunspell can not be loaded by bootstrap

- Some .cxx files in VCL do not include the precompiled headers and thus
break the build.

- You have to pass the --disable-coinmp switch to configure. Otherwise
the build breaks because the coinmp module can not be found (because it
does not exist in the symphony branch)

I was able to fix all of the above.  At the moment I try to figure a
linker problem in VCL.

Best regards,
Andre