Be aware that many browsers blocks javascripts from sites without a
certificate. and it makes the page slower, because it has to load more
urls. It would be more efficient to in php (if possible) and make it a real
server issue.

In php, it is quite simple, to make an algorithm, that e.g. displays msg a,
for the first 3 minutes of an hour, then message B etc. The messages
themself would be html sniplets.

Going down that route would make graphic pretty simple (just the normal
image tag).

Jan.