Rob Weir wrote:
For the language refresh release in January, is there a reason why we
need to release a full source package?

No, indeed. I've now put more generic wording in the report. (And I've also added links to the explanations in this thread on why a report is needed).

It might require some extra build work initially to create these diffs
(based on two SVN revisions).

It will still be rather straightforward with SVN to produce the new "source package" as a diff to be applied to the 3.4.1 sources.

For example, suppose we had to make a
quick release for a security flaw.

In this case, we would probably want to make a full release and use a different version number. But again, SVN tags and diff will allow everybody to easily see what has changed.

Regards,
  Andrea.