@helen:

I have updated page titles to utf8, so that should be ok.

I do have a problem with category names, when I convert them they are
non-unique, which they have to be.

I have tried to convert as many as possible, but it might be that you have
to change a couple by hand.

I cannot judge it really, but the pages seem better now, what do you think ?

@tj see below
On 25 December 2012 14:41, TJ Frazier <tjfraz...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> On 12/25/2012 08:05, janI wrote:
>
>> On 25 December 2012 13:22, TJ Frazier <tjfraz...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>>  On 12/25/2012 04:03, janI wrote:
>>>
>>>  HI Tj and Helen.

>>> Hi, Jan, Helen,
>>>
>>> *UTF8*: It seems we have some scattered conversion problems in this area.
>>> The big question is, how many? The "Unused files" special page is showing
>>> strange entries for the first few items, too; the names look like what
>>> I'd
>>> expect from double conversion.
>>>
>>> @Helen: can you give us a better idea of how big the problem is? Cyrillic
>>> is "Greek to me" (="unknown"), too. I am assuming that this would be
>>> important, for going back or going forward.
>>>
>>>  Helen told me off list, that we should go ahead and fix iit in the live
>> version, but your comments make me a bit nervous, so yes I also would like
>> a "damage estimate". I have not run the UTF8 conversion script we got, so
>> that might solve the whole problem.
>>
>>  I see in a later note that you are doing this. Good; I think we need it.
>

>>> *Editor*: Loading the toolbar has always been a two-step process: the
>>> first part is initially visible, then the rest of the icons load quickly
>>> but visibly later. (I'd love to know more about what's going on here,
>>> because I'd love to add an icon to the list: <tt>TEXT HERE</tt>,
>>> something
>>> I use frequently.) I think (but cannot confirm) that it was working on
>>> testwiki. I did do a little editing on testwiki, so I should have noticed
>>> the glitch, but maybe I didn't.
>>>
>>>  Please have a look now, I added "WikiEditor" instead of the default,
>> because it has some issues with the seconds part icons and are not easy
>> extendable.
>>
>> Look in mediawiki, there are examples on how to extend the icons, you can
>> do it for your user, and once it works I can include them.
>>

>>  "WikiEdditor" looks good to me, and seems to work fine. I will
> investigate extending the icons.
>

>>> *Category for Speedy Deletion*: Jan, you deleted this category. Granted,
>>> it was empty at the time, but we sysops chase and delete pages that show
>>> up
>>> here. This is how non-sysops request page deletion, by adding the
>>> template,
>>> {{delete|explanation}} to the page. Then a sysop looks at the page and
>>> the
>>> reason, and acts accordingly: deletes the page or removes the template,
>>> and
>>> explains why in the summary.
>>>
>>>  Sorry, there was not comment like in the russian pages. Can you please
>> make
>> it again, and put a comment in there.
>>
>>  Done.
>

>>> Most of the users who would request such a thing are now sysops, and can
>>> do their own deletions, but even there, they might want a second
>>> opinion. I
>>> suggest that this method is worth keeping. Therefore, I have re-created
>>> the
>>> category.
>>>
>>>  Agree, but please put a note like "to not delete even if empty" for
>> future
>> admins :-)
>>
>>  Done.
>
> Concentrating on the glitches, I have failed to mention that most of the
> new setup looks wonderful. It was a lot of work, and we are most grateful
> for your attention.

thx for the nice words, it was really a big job...but hopefully it is
comming to a pause and in the meantime I can concentrate on the pootle
server.