On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 8:50 PM, Donald Harbison <dpharbi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 10:03 AM, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Just noticed that we hit the 30 million download mark for AOO 3.4 on
>> December 22nd.
>>
>> That is a nice, round number.  Maybe we should do a year end blog
>> post, summarizing our achievements in 2012?
>>
>> Any ideas for content?
>>

> A nice timeline of achievements is always good, plus a simple line chart
> showing community growth and vitality.
>
> And, most important, forward looking content describing our goals for 2013.

Along this line, here what we plan to deliver for Extensions and
Templates sites by the end of February:

1) Platform and Content Migration to Drupal 7. The two sites, now on
Drupal 5 (unsupported) and Drupal 6, will be brought to the same
platform. Common code will work on both sites without need to be
adapted. This will bring improvements in performance, user experience
and multilingual support. All users, passwords (if applicable) and
content will be preserved during conversion.

2) Technical improvements. Automatic management of updates will be
available on Extensions, to enable update notifications in OpenOffice.
The site will export RSS feeds with new content.

During the process we'll keep providing users support, including
possible support to users who need to understand configuration
changes.

Also by the end of April we plan to work on the following items.

3) Search improvements. Search will be switched to an Apache Solr
backend; this allows much faster search, autocomplete of search terms,
"Did you mean" suggestions and "Saved searches" for each registered
user.

4) Web 2.0 services. The sites will support RSS feeds to export
specific searches (latest dictionaries, templates matching
"curriculum") to other sites. New content will automatically be posted
on dedicated Twitter channels. It will be possible to share on
Facebook/Twitter each extension/template and to rate the content with
the familiar 5-star widget.

5) Branding possibilities, replicated repositories. The sites can
display different content and branding if called with different domain
names (e.g., show only open source extensions when called as
open.extensions.openoffice.org). The sites can also be easily
replicated and reinstalled with full functionality (e.g., for a
company-wide internal repository of extensions or templates).

Roberto

--
====