On 01/14/2013 11:50 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 2:21 PM, janI <j...@apache.org> wrote:
On 14 January 2013 20:01, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:

http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-development.html

The idea here is to have a dev-focused introduction page that works
along side the similar pages we have for Marketing and QA.  This is
the first draft.   I already see a few typos, so don't worry about
those.   But I am looking for more content.

I like the idea that we have a document like this, a few remarks to content:
- The building guide you refer to is outdated (see first line), and many of
the other building guides are not complete.

Is there a building guide that is more up to date than the one I linked to?

We were just discussing this a day or so ago. The information from the Developer Snapshot cwiki page toward the bottom:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Development+Snapshot+Builds#DevelopmentSnapshotBuilds-AOO3.4.1

needs to be added to the wiki build info, so the wiki build info is not complete.

see below for more...

- since not all programmers are fluent in all languages, it would be nice
to have a list of which languages are used where...otherwise it becomes
complicated to pick an "easy task".

Maybe when someone marks an issue as an "easy task" they add a comment
in Bugzilla giving some hints like where to start looking, etc.

- It would also be nice to give a short introduction to debugging, which is
far from easy (again split on languages/tools).

I'd love to have that information, if anyone has a link?

But I think that is the catch-22:   Our dev doc is poor, but it takes
volunteer dev time to improve the doc.  But we need more volunteers.
And that requires good doc.

So maybe this becomes a bootstrapping process, where we gather
feedback from the initial dev volunteers and use that to improve the
doc.

In any case, I don't have the deep knowledge here.  I'm mainly helping
gather it into one place in a consumable form.  So improving this will
require help from a veteran developer, either up front, or later after
answering repeated questions on the mailing list.

Regards,

-Rob

Ok, our Altsassian Fisheye instance has been broken for some time. I don't know what the problem is. I filed an issue some time ago. I need to get abck in contact with them. Last update was about a week ago.

The link you have goes to a page but then NOTHING really, and it does not included "trunk". So, I guess you may need to stick with just the viewvc link:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/trunk

 for the time being.

Another link developers may find useful is the Developer’s Guide on the wiki:

http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/OpenOffice.org_Developers_Guide

All in all a good start!

rgds
Jan I

What else should we put here?  Any other links?  Any other startup tasks?

-Rob

MzK

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted."
                                 -- Aesop