On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 10:43 AM, Pedro Giffuni <p...@apache.org> wrote:
> FWIW;

It could be used as a form of sensitivity analysis.  A value in a
spreadsheet might be a known value, like a sales tax rate, that is
certain.  But you also might have other values that are measurements
with measurement error, or estimates with confidence levels.  If you
treat these unknowns as intervals then you can get some interesting
results:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interval_arithmetic

Even better is to allow cells to have an associated distribution,
e.g., normal with given mean and variance, uniform within a given
interval, etc.  If you also have the ability to define covariances
between the variables then you can do a monte carlo simulation to
determine the distribution of the result cells.  Very powerful
technique.

Today, conceptually at least, a spreadsheet commonly has these
different "layers" that are associated with each cell:

1) Contents, e.g., a number, string, formula, blank.

2) A value, e.g., the evaluation of the formula, or the value of a literal.

3) A format, e.g., currency 2 decimal places

4) A style, e.g., green background, bold text

There is a lot we could do if we made it easy for extension authors to
add more "layers" to a spreadsheet.  For example, a layer for
dimensions and units (meters, inches, foot-pounds/second, etc. ) would
allow error checking for incorrectly mixing dimensions as well
automatically converting units.  So adding a cell containing seconds
to one containing meters would be flagged as an error.  But adding
meters and feet might be permitted and a conversion factor
automatically made.   You could also imagine a layer for probability
distribution, etc.

There is no need for the core of Calc to understand the custom layers
other than to respect them during editing operations, e.g., a cut and
paste operation brings along contents, format, style, as well as any
custom layer metadata.

>From the ODF perspective, this could all be done using ODF 1.2's RDF
metadata capabilities.

-Rob