On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 1:58 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 5:49 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>wrote:
>
>> Rob Weir wrote:

>>> We had a committer veto.  Why are having a vote?  A -1 from a
>>> commmitter is not something we vote on.
>>>

>> Vetos must be based on technical grounds and can be withdrawn, see
>> http://www.apache.org/**foundation/voting.html#Veto<http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#Veto>
>> (no, I haven't seen a clearly stated "technical ground" in Kay's mail).
>> Due to the exceptional amount of posts in this thread, a proper vote is now
>> the clearest way out, and in case of opposition it will allow to record
>> clearly what the technical reason was.
>

> I readily admit this is true. I would like my veto to stand and here I will
> elaborate and hopefully provide my technical justification.
>
> In my mind, current mathematical information aside, we have implemented an
> acceptable solution based on the ODF specification. If, at some point, some
> universal mathematical body says without doubt that 0^0 should never ever
> be considered 1, then I am assuming the ODF standards body would change the
> standard for that function, and we would then change the current
> calculation.
>
> I have seen many references to this "issue" on the web, some which support
> the current implementation, some of which do not. In my mind, this needs to
>
> So for what it's worth, this is my technical justification. We are not a
> mathematical body, we are implementing code that complies to the ODF
> standard.
>
> If "we" have a problem with that standard, "we" need to discuss it with the
> standards body, not change existing code because of a personal viewpoint.

And so it is clear, my technical objection is:

Backwards compatibility of spreadsheet documents, and calculations
specifically, is critical.  If AOO 4.0 returns results that are even a
penny different than earlier versions than this would be a severe
defect.  If we found such a defect even the day before a major release
we would probably treat it as a "stop ship" blocking issue.  Any
change that breaks backwards compatibility is a technical issue.

Fact:  Pedro's patch changes the results of spreadsheet calculations
in OpenOffice, introducing an error where there was not one before.

Finally, treating 0^0 == 1 is very common in programming languages and
spreadsheets, being the value returned by OpenOffice since 1.0, as
well as by Calligra Sheets, Google Docs, Symphony, LibreOffice, Java,
C, and .NET.  Anyone arguing that the value is incorrect faces a
mountain of contrary opinion and practice.

Regards,

-Rob