Hi,

On 26.02.2013 22:48, Rob Weir wrote:
On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 3:35 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
<orwittm...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hi,

On 09.08.2012 22:23, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:

On 07.08.2012 23:44, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

I created a page with this content at
http://www.openoffice.org/legacy/thankyou.html

May be we can use it also for our update service. It could be the
landing page for users of legacy OOo versions for whose language we do
not have a released package.

For those cases it would be better to wait until 3.4.1 is out, then
provide, for
unsupported languages, some "beta/RC" builds or langpacks based on the
same SVN
revision and the SDF files we have now and create a page saying something
like
"your language is not officially supported, but you can help us [links to
unofficial builds and instructions]". But this is just an idea that we can
discuss after 3.4.1 is released.

Yes, I would definitely wait until AOO 3.4.1 is out.

Having unofficial language packs for our unsupported languages would be a
good idea, esp. to attract some new volunteers for translations.

I will keep your's and Rob's idea in mind for my planned future work on the
update service.

Now that the 3.4.1 language respin is released I'd like to bring back
to mind this earlier discussion.   There are (we assume) many users
out there still running OOo 3.3.0 or earlier.  Even months after 3.4.0
and 3.4.1 were released we get a steady stream of upgrades from OOo
3.3.0, 3.2.1 and 3.2.0.

But we're only advertising upgrades for those cases where we have a
translation for that language.  I wonder if we could use the upgrade
notification message as a form of recruitment for translation help in
AOO 4.0?

Yes, the update service could be used for it.
For each language we are able to provide its own web site URL. Thus, we could use a landing page URL for languages for which we have no release.

I will have a look, if the message shown in the update service dialog in the running OOo 3.2, 3.2.1 and 3.3 instance can already contain a corresponding short message that the new version is not available in the requested language.

One idea would be this:

1) Create a landing page on the website that makes the following points:

a) You are running an older version of OpenOffice.  A more recent one
is available, AOO 3.4.1, available in the following languages...

b) We're working on a new 4.0 release with many exciting feature
(point to blog post).  We'd love to support your language, but need
help with translation.  If you want to help, or know someone who might
be interested, here is where to find more information on how to get
involved...

c) Sign up here on the announcement mailing list (or Facebook, or
Twitter or Google+) to be notified when AOO 4.0 is released

2) Then enable update notifications for all languages not included in
AOO 3.4.1, and point the user to the new landing page.

3) After a week revert the update configuration file on our server to
the earlier state, so users do not get this message repeatedly.  (By
default it should check only once a week).

I think something like the above would be great to do in the near
term, since it would give enough time for new volunteers to complete
translations in time for AOO 4.0.

+1 from my side.
ad 3): may extend to two weeks

Best regards, Oliver.