janI wrote:
Instead of discussing what I should have done (and making me think "why do
I care", maybe we could concentrate on whether or not it should be applied,
and if there are any volunteers to test it.

OK, let's leave security out of this and consider it just an infrastructure update. Then you need a few volunteers for testing. I can be one, even though my account probably has some extra privileges; I can test normal editing and localization (interface and content translation). Then we can probably find a couple of documentation volunteers, who are the heaviest users of Mwiki in this period, and start testing.

Regards,
  Andrea.