On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 4:56 AM, Jörg Schmidt <joe...@j-m-schmidt.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> By a request in the forum
> (http://de.openoffice.info/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61365), I get the information,
> the Issue #3959 was not implemented since 2002, although he has already
> received 355 votes.
>
> (Note: the implementation of the issues is not particularly important to me,
> I personally have not even voted for it.)
>
> I know it, earlier in OpenOffice, org, not practice was unfortunately votes
> cast for issues as direct, binding standard for their implementation to
> consider, But how is that today?.

Binding?  No.  But it might be a valuable source of feedback, among
other sources.

> It is clear to me the AOO is created by volunteers who choose their detailed
> tasks themselves, but should we not also be a concern comply with the
> interests of the users of AOO?

I'm not sure votes from 2002 are the most accurate way of determining
what users want.  For example, I think we'd agree that the
most-critical issue in 3.4.1 is the profile-related crash.  But the
Bugzilla issue for this has received *zero* votes:

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.discuss.german/13802

So I wonder whether the way users interact with Bugzilla is different
today?  Maybe they are not so much aware of voting?   I had the
impression that previously voting was more "political", and users
would lobby for votes on mailing lists, etc.  We don't see that today.

> That would not only be of practical benefit to users, but would also enhance
> the reputation of AOO, as in the practice oriented project.
>
> Why the latter is important?
> I think because of the positive reputation of AOO in public grow the number
> of our supporters (sponsors, supporters, developers) will be.

IMHO, there is what users really want, which is something abstract
which we can only know imperfectly.  And then there are sources of
information that indicate what that might be.  Votes are one source of
info, but not the only source, and probably not the best source, at
least how they are used (or not used) today.

> My view:
> We should not emulate LibreOffice because LibreOffice may be innovative, but
> public statements about quality and consistency of LibreOffice are
> devastating.
> For example, the chairman of the FroDeV spoke (a German association for the
> promotion of free software) this publicly recently plain text, see:
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.discuss.german/13802
> (Sorry only in German)

When I bought my first house, and finally got out of an apartment, I
had the opportunity to have a big garden.  I always wanted to have my
own garden, to grow what I wanted, to experiment with new plants, to
do everything I always wanted to do.  So I made a big garden: flowers,
vegetables, berries, fruit trees, etc., 3000 square feet of garden.

But by the middle of the summer the weeds started growing.  At first I
was outside every day fighting the weeds.  I tried all the recommended
techniques, but it was still labor intensive. Eventually the weeds
won.  Why?   My garden was too big for the resources I had.

I remember how good I felt in March and April, planting all the
flowers, as well as how bad I felt in August when looking at all the
weeds.

The secret of gardening is picking the right size garden, no bigger
than one that you can successfully maintain.

-Rob