Rob Weir wrote:
On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 6:39 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org> wrote:
Hagar Delest wrote:

if the votes are reset, I'll take it as a huge setback for the users
decisions

Resetting votes does not make sense. There is a limit on how many bugs a
user can vote for and votes can be reallocated, so it isn't necessarily true
that an old bug has more votes just because it's been around for longer. But
it's true that we are not advertising the possibility to vote as much as we
used to: many new users are likely unaware that they can vote.

I was curious to check my intuition on this.  So with a bit of effort
I was able to get the following data out of Bugzilla, showing the
yearly percentage of enhancement or feature issue types have had at
least one vote.  So it is showing for issues entered in that year,
what % of those issues have received votes.

Year      %Votes
2002      45%
2003      39%
2004      34%
2005      31%
2006      30%
2007      24%
2008      23%
2009      23%
2010      14%
2011        5%
2012        6%
2013        2%

I see a trend here, a very strong one.  Plot it and you see a nearly
linear trend (r = - 0.98).   Older issues have received more votes
than new issuers.

There could be several reasons for this:

1) Older issues are better issues because they were entered by smarter
people.  But then the linear trend is then odd.  Did people become
less smart in such a regular way over the years?

2) Older issues have been around longer so they have had a longer
opportunity to be voted on.  This very naturally would explain a
linear trend.

3) Users have become less interested in or aware of voting.  But
again, it hard to explain the gradual linear trend.  Why for example,
would users in 2010 entering an issue not even vote for their own
issue 90% of the time, but in 2002 nearly half of those issues
received votes?

Or it could be that people just got frustrated over time that nothing ever happened and stopped voting or moved on to other applications that better met there needs. The bottom line is that we do not know why it happened and trying to make decisions based on it does not make sense.

Regards
Keith

In any case, this is one reason why I take the old vote counts cum
grano salis.  For whatever reason the votes are biased toward older
issues.

-Rob

[Rob] Google Moderator was far easier to use for users than BZ is. That
is

why we received far more feedback with Moderator. I'm sorry that the
troglodytes don't like that.

Not only troglodytes. Many users interpret the votes in Bugzilla as their
opportunity to influence the OpenOffice decisions (and would find offensive
to be assimilated to troglodytes). Honestly, except for a couple of
occasions years ago when a review of "most voted issues" was done, votes are
scarcely taken into consideration. This is the problem.

There is room for improvement here: you once posted the most voted issues,
but if we made it regularly and we committed to fixing the most voted issues
(or, more realistically, to direct to the most voted issues people who want
to help with development or sponsor it), things would improve.

Regards,
   Andrea.