I think there is already a bug report for this, but I cannot find it right
now. When you perform a new install with a new profile, under the menu
Options → OpenOffice → Java you have the "Use Java runtime environment"
checkbox selected, but *none* of the available java environments listed
below is checked: you need to explicitly click on the radio button to the
left of one of the java version. This confuse new users, specially if they
have only one java environment on their systems, because they do not
realize that there is a radio button there and think that the first
checkbox should be enough, not understanding why base or other java based
components/extensions do not work. See for example this thread on the forum:

http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=60830

Is it possible to make AOO automatically select one of the listed java
environments? Or at least to make more clear that no jvm is selected?

Regards
Ricardo