On 13-04-09, at 17:20 , Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 9:40 AM, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 12:25 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I came across this chart comparing LibreOffice vs Microsoft Office...
>>>

>> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Feature_Comparison:_LibreOffice_-_Microsoft_Office
>>>
>>> Do we have anything similar/more recent than the information I found in:
>>>
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/features/3.0/
>>>
>>> or ???
>>>
>>> We seem to have a variety of rather old documents pertaining to this
>> topic
>>> but I can't easily find a single page with a comparison chart.
>>>

>> Any table on a vendor's website will be dismissed by most users since it
>> will be obviously self-serving and biased.  A user might look at it, but
>> will they believe it?  What we really want is a good comparison published
>> by a 3rd party.  That's why reviews are good.
>>
>> -Rob
>>

>> An unbiased comparison would, of course, be ideal. I think the comparison
>> chart approach is good so users can see fairly quickly what the feature
>> comparison is.
>>

> If we think we shouldn't create one, perhaps be on the lookout for such a
> chart.

What's wrong with being "self-serving and biased" when we a) have good reason
for being that way, i.e., empirically grounded and logically backed argument
(so, in fact, it's not really biased at all, and if it is perceived as such,
then it is still in our interest to make public why we believe what we believe
and do what we do), and b) as Kay points out, taking the high road doesn't mean
that others won't take the low.

louis