On Apr 19, 2013, at 5:37 AM, janI wrote:

> On 19 April 2013 13:48, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:

>> an

>> end,

>> on
>>> my

>> that
>>> look

>> the
>>> or a
>> unpredictable.
>> and
>>>>

>>> or we have a better connection now :-) think about the other infra things
>>> that have happened lately (wiki, new translate, proxy setup), the ones I
>>> know off have all had resonable response time
>>>
>>> I was not trying to shoot at you, I just have another impression of
>>> infra...but of course, I am not neutral.
>>>

>>> Our need to pick a logo design is very predictable and the time line for
>>> bad
>>>>

>>> completely correct, but if the price is to have a non openoffice.orgsite,
>>> it is at least a high price to pay.
>>>
>>> Using a non-openoffice.org site is a non-issue.  We've gathered user
>>> opinions on Google Moderator and Facebook, without problems.  Other
>> groups
>>> in the ASF have used Google Docs-based surveys.   No one has ever raised
>>> concerns about using 3rd party services for this.  This is not a "high
>>> price to pay".
>>>

>> In any case, my practice remains -- and I'm sure most in Infra would agree
>> with me here -- if you can do something without having a dependency on
>> Apache Infra it is a good thing.  Let them focus on things that only they
>> can do.  Self-service is a good thing.
>>

> No problem, everybody is entitled to have their opinion...I just try to
> help.
>
> You  wrote earlier "I have another DNS-related Infra request that are no
> more complicated and
> have waited almost a year"
>
> I had a look in jira to find the issue, to see if I could solve it, but I
> cannot find any open issues with you as requestor, and when I search for
> DNS there are no really old issues.
>
> If you give me the jira number I will have a look at it, and maybe ask why
> it has waited so long.

Exactly. There are five unordered principles to dealing with infrastructure.

(1) Politeness.
(2) Patience.
(3) Persistence.
(4) Be Willing to Help. The more you help, the more you understand, the more
you can help, ... several project committers have done this.
(5) Put the request in JIRA. Infra looks there when they have cycles.

Regards,
Dave