On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 03:41:11PM +0200, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> On 5/16/13 3:12 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> > On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 02:55:51PM +0200, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> >> no problem, nice to solve problems so easy ;-) It sees that others
> >> have layout problems as well, not only OpenOffice where layouting
> >> of controls in the UI for example is a nightmare and handcrafted
> >> :-(
> >
> > There is some basic support in
> >
> > vcl/inc/vcl/arrange.hxx vcl/source/window/arrange.cxx
> >
> > OpenGrok for RowOrColumn and you'll see it's even used in some
> > dialogs, prominently in the resizable Print dialog
>
> ok I never have used this directly. I did UI mainly via the toolkit.
>
> > http://opengrok.adfinis-sygroup.org/source/search?q=RowOrColumn&defs=&refs=&path=main&hist=&project=aoo-trunk
> >

> (I used it to make the Readme dialog resizable without having to
> > re-layout the controls - I like wasting my free time in this "most
> > unimportant dialog", vcl is fun :) ).
>
> maybe you are interested to work on a more generic layout engine for
> VCL. Thinking of an extended or modified format to describe dialogs
> and include layout info/constraints that are used by the layout engine
> etc.
>
> This would be a very useful thing of course.

Christian Lippka had this almost finished. I recall the picture from
this thread
http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@de.openoffice.org/msg30669.html it had
a side panel defined in xml. It would be interesting to investigate if
the work was done on some private repository in Hamburg, or if it is in
some CWS on http://hg.services.openoffice.org/; and rescue it, avoiding
to reinvent the wheel.

He was also doing a nice job with the svtools::ToolbarMenu in the
toolbar controllers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eO0X_eO6Ww

(side note: interesting reading the opinion of some former Oracle
developers, now working elsewhere)

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile