On 04.06.2013 23:28, Hagar Delest wrote:
Le 04/06/2013 22:47, Juergen Schmidt a écrit :
Well I am getting tired to repeat this again and again. Nobody should expect that others do what's necessary, Just do it yourself -> it's a community project.
That's the problem. It seems there are different levels of understanding for the "community".

You tend to think that there is a huge community backing AOO and ready to jump into the code and other areas. I think that the reality is quite different: there is a huge base of users. But only users; wanting the application to work without having to put the hands inside.

Let's face it: there are very few with dev skills; so you can't tell "just do it". What if we can't do it? Just shut up?
If we shut up, nobody else will care about the users.

Hagar,
I think that you are mixing up your arguments.

- This thread seems to be a 'discussion' between developers---extensions developers and core developers---not between users and developers.

- You imply that there are only two options: complain and then program an improvement or just shut up. But there are others. For example if you don't like the background color of a button then you don't have to be a programmer to propose another color. Constructive criticism can have many forms. Writing source code is just one of them.

So, if an extension developer criticizes a technical decision it seems reasonable to ask that developer to propose a better alternative. It does not have to be fully implemented but something a little more constructive than just a complaint would be nice. That, as far as I understand it, is one aspect of the Apache Way.

-Andre