From: Rob Weir [mailto:robw...@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:28 AM
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org
Cc: l...@openoffice.apache.org; d...@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: Re: [Discuss][Wiki]"Synchronizing" (or not) localized wiki sites [was:
Fwd: [UserGuide]My "roadmap"]

[ ... ]
>> > All those "portal" pages are under PDL license (look at the categories at
>> > the bottom of those pages). If we want to promote new wiki content under
>> > Apache license, this means a problem. If I read this page right
>> >
>> > http://www.openoffice.org/licenses/PDL.html
>> >
>> > PDL is a sort of "copyleft" license.

We've tried to avoid this problem by starting new documentation in
ALv2, not using the prior materials.  And remember, if we want to
borrow material, we have access to the complete Symphony documentation
as well, which is included in the IBM SGA for Symphony.  So all of
that can be treated as ALv2.

[ ... ]

This is overkill.  There is no need to remove PDL pages.  Maybe just
move them if they are inconvenient?  But if the content is relevant,
why remove?

The way forward is to respect the licenses as they are.  We have
greater latitude in what legacy licenses are used on the website than
we do in the AOO product itself.   We've had no problems at all
hosting Creative Content licensed documentation, PDL content, etc., on
the website, wiki, etc.  Nothing has changed in that regard.

However, when we create new material, including enhancements of
existing material, then we need to respect the ICLA which says our
contributions are made under ALv2.  This might mean that going forward
that modified content is covered by multiple licenses.  This should
not be a problem.

[ ... ]