Am 08/20/2013 08:12 PM, schrieb Donald Whytock:
On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 5:29 AM, sebb<seb...@gmail.com>  wrote:

On 20 August 2013 01:20, Rob Weir<robw...@apache.org>  wrote:
On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 6:39 PM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
wrote:
Am 08/19/2013 09:51 PM, schrieb sebb:

On 19 August 2013 20:27, Rob Weir<robw...@apache.org>   wrote:

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 2:14 PM, Andrea Pescetti<pesce...@apache.org>
wrote:

On 19/08/2013 sebb wrote:

Note that the page http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.htmlalso
requires Javascript!

This is not so good. The noscript option should direct the user to
http://www.apache.org/dyn/aoo-closer.cgi/openoffice/
(users who disable JavaScript are likely to be able to browse the
FTP-like
structure they will see there).

Whatever method is chosen, I think it should be possible to download
AOO without the use of Javascript.

It should also be possible to download OpenOffice in the cases where
JavaScript parsing breaks, i.e., we should have alternative download
links
that are always visible (working JavaScript, broken Javascript, no
JavaScript).

I think this is the key insight.  There are actually three cases to
consider:

1) Java script disabled

2) Javascript is supported, but not working with our page

3) Javascript working fine.

Some of the more recent reports are about #2.  These are older
versions of Internet Explorer, e.g., I.E. 6.  A<noscript>   block will
not help in this case.

But if it is possible to detect the broken Javascript without
crashing, then it would be possible to treat the browser as if it did
not have Javascript.

Right, has anybody an idea how to detect such broken JS engines?

 From this test it looks like the main issue is Internet Explorer before
I.E. 8:

http://browsershots.org/http://www.openoffice.org/download/

One approach is to see if you can code around that error and get it to
work correctly on older I.E. installs.

Another approach is to use one of these techniques to detect older
I.E. and then fall back to a non-script page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537509%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

It might also be possible to use the HTTP headers User-Agent and
Accepts-Language as a backstop for when Javascript is not available.
This might need some Infra config support.

-Rob

Marcus

Just me-too-ing here...I can't get to the download list right now from my
office, with IE8, scripting disabled and a somewhat draconian firewall.  I
can get to SourceForge, though.

Should there be an "If that doesn't work, click here" link, perhaps
pointing to...?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/4.0.0/binaries/

But then we run into the problem that Rainer has already reported:
The file names in the visible area are all the same. You cannot differenciate between them - as long as you don't hover the mouse over each one until you have found your favorite.

See here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/4.0.0/binaries/en-US/

So, a fallback to the Apache mirror is currently the better option.

@Roberto:
I've lost a bit the latest update. Is it possible to change it in a way that the file names are completely shown?

Marcus