Am 08/22/2013 12:01 AM, schrieb Kay Schenk:
On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 11:19 AM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.m...@wtnet.de>  wrote:

Am 08/15/2013 11:27 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 1:15 PM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
  wrote:

  Am 08/15/2013 01:37 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:

   On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.m...@wtnet.de>

   wrote:

  Am 08/14/2013 10:32 PM, schrieb Marcus (OOo):

   Am 08/14/2013 10:11 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 3:37 PM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
wrote:

Since a few weeks we get mails with just "[Website]" as subject.

Just one word is not really meaningful to classify the mail content
on the
first view. So, I'm wondering from where they come from and how to
improve
this?

  These probably come from the contact page:

http://www.openoffice.org/****contact_us.html<http://www.openoffice.org/**contact_us.html>
<http://www.**openoffice.org/contact_us.html<http://www.openoffice.org/contact_us.html>
**>

ah, thanks.

   See: For problems with the www.openoffice.org website, please
contact

us via Development mailing list.

That page covers contacts for reporting bugs, website and wiki
problems, press, etc. But the very first link on the page is for
support. I assume it requires an advanced degree in psychology to
understand why someone would skip over that link and go to another.

Yes, especially because the hint with the dev@ link is one of the
last
options. So, it doesn't make sense to exchange it with others in the
section as this would just move the problem to the l10n@ or bz@mailing
list.

OK, seems to be the last remaining 2.5% that never can be improved.

Proposal:

Exchange the predefined mail subject (e.g. "[Website]") with a more
speaking
wording like:

"I want to report a problem with the OpenOffice website"
"I want to report a problem with the OpenOffice BugZilla"
"I want to report a problem with the OpenOffice Wiki"
"I want to report a problem with the Pootle translation service"

Maybe this will make it a bit more obvious for the user that her/his
mail
doesn't fit to the topic and could lead to think twice before hitting
on
[Send].

  This might help.  It certainly would not hurt.

done, lets see what we will get now.

Marcus

  I think this recent change will help. Maybe we need more?

On this same page, Contact Us, we have this wording in the first section--

If you need user support and don't want to file a bug...

Please navigate to the Support
Page<http://www.openoffice.**org/support/index.html<http://www.openoffice.org/support/index.html>

Should we change this to something more friendly, like ...

If you have a problem with OpenOffice...

Please use the Support Page...

Is this really unfriendly? At least I have the feeling that the first
version is more detailed and therefore more useful.

My 2 ct.

Marcus

When I hadn't heard anything further on this, I made a few changes to
contact_us.html a few days ago. Maybe you've seen this? We really had two
headings for end-user support type that I combined under one heading.

Ahm, no. I've seen the change from Andrea due to the planned forum downtime. But not yours. ;-)

My feeling about contact_us.html is that it would be mostly used by folks
with problems with the product who do not want to use BZ. So I tried to
make the wording more friendly for that purpose. I left the references to
BZ because this is important, of course, but maybe applies to more
indigenous product issues than something like "I can't locate my old
documents" or "my printer no longer works with OpenOffice".

Anyway, we can change again if what is there now doesn't suit the intention
-- trying to steer users to our primary support mechanisms.

Sure, but when nobody else comment this, then I assume it's OK. Then it was just my feeling, no problem.

Marcus