On 2 September 2013 15:48, Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org> wrote:

> janI wrote:
>
>> Would it be possible (and preferable) to make a download page, where the
>> user.
>> a) selected version (exe)
>> b) selected (multiple) languages (language pack without dictionary)
>> c) selected (mutiple) dictionaries.
>> The choices should be combined into a filename == exe+lang(s)+dict(s).
>> Which is sent to the server as a download request.
>> On the server we would have a backend script that packed the items
>> together
>> just like postprocess/instsetoo does today, so the user would get 1 file.
>>

> Obviously this is not for 4.0.1. What I like of this proposal is that the
> user still downloads one file, which is optimal for the user interface.
>
> A beginning could be to simply assemble the same downloads we have now
> (i.e., the user has no choice: he will get, say, the Italian version with
> Italian language and dictionary; only, this will be generated rather than
> pre-built).
>
> Then there are a lot of things to consider:
>
> 1) Digital signatures: the assembled installer must respect them, and this
> seems hard to do.

As far as I have been able to find out (with the good help of infra
colleagues) is:
- Only exe have a digital signature

meaning this has no impact.

But it DO have an impact on checksums, where we need to store all
combinations (lots of files, each very small).

> 2) Server-side processing: this would likely require some load on the
> mirrors and some infrastructure standardization. I don't know what's the
> status on Apache mirrors.

The server side, processing would happen on "our" server, and the files
would still be located on the mirrors

Basically the server side scropt, would "split" the file request into
multiple requests.

> 3) Respecting the priorities. Apache is a secondary mirror system, since
> the Apache mirrors don't have enough space/bandwidth to reliably offer
> downloads. So whatever is done should not cause technical issues with our
> primary mirror system (SourceForge), that never had space/bandwidth
> problems. Note that also the Apache Archives never reported problems so far
> about the space needed to archive old/current releases.

The problem is only partial the space itself, much more the size of each
release. With a distributed system (like suggested) we can independently
release language packs, and the user sees them as integrated in the main
AOO release.

rgds
jan i.