On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 2:00 PM, F C. Costero <fjcc.apa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 8:30 AM, Ricardo Berlasso <rgb.m...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> There is a problem with the automated emails on the forums:
>>
>> http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=102&t=64264
>>
>> I checked on the ES forum by sending a PM from a test account to my main
>> account and can confirm the problem: no notification arrived. This problem
>> seems quite urgent because accounts are activated through confirmation
>> email, so no email no new account.
>>
>> Something changed today, because until yesterday notifications worked
>> without problems.
>>
>> Regards
>> Ricardo
>>
> I note that on the thread "Mails from iss...@openoffice.apache.org" Rob
> mentions he turned off email notification in bugzilla. A curious
> coincidence though it doesn't seem that should affect the forums.

By the time I disabled the email sending on BZ it was already too late.

The impact was pervasive, hitting the email infrastructure in general.
 Essentially, Google saw an unusual number of emails coming suddenly
from Apache, and put a rate limit on emails that it would accept from
us.  That directly impacted those with GMail addresses, but also
backed up the outgoing mail queue at Apache which impacting everyone
else as well.

The queue should be clearing now and the old notifications delivered.
I don't know if new account emails have a time limit on when the
accounts can be confirmed, but if it is shorter than a 24 hours users
might need to register again.

Sorry all for the trouble I unleashed here.

-Rob